That is probably the most flavorful one pot hen and rice on the web. Our simple hen and rice recipe is made with juicy hen thighs and a pleasant rice medley so that you get further veggies!
Greatest One Pot Rooster and Rice Recipe
One-pot meals have been all the craze at our home. Once I say one-pot meals…I imply meals the place you may get your 1. protein 2. veggies and three. grains all whereas utilizing only one pot.
Our Chicken Casserole recipe for instance simply makes use of a casserole dish. Our Skillet Chicken and Potatoes makes use of only a cast-iron skillet. And, our Instant Pot Pork Roast makes use of simply the Instantaneous Pot.
This One Pot Rooster and Rice isn’t any completely different than our reader-favorite one-pot meals however makes use of a Dutch oven. Should you don’t have a Dutch oven but, we extremely suggest it. It makes one-pot cooking really easy!
What’s Rooster and Rice?
Rooster and rice is a basic American dish the place you prepare dinner both hen breast or hen thighs and white rice in a dish with broth and seasonings.
Historically, folks use a cream of mushroom soup however we determined to make use of entire substances and as a bonus it lowers the sodium content material as nicely!
The most effective type of hen and rice bake is tremendous flavorful and incorporates veggies to make it a well-rounded dish (trace trace, this recipe!).
Why make this hen and rice recipe?
There are such a lot of hen and rice recipes on the web, however I can promise you one factor…this one is 100x the perfect! We examined this extra instances than you possibly can depend and the flavour is simply out of this world.
Taste: the flavour of this dish is on level. We used a mix of hen broth, spices, garlic, butter, and Worcestershire sauce to get that extremely savory taste.
One-Pot: there really is nothing higher than not having to wash 1,000,000 pots and pans after you prepare dinner dinner. Clear one pot and completed!
Leftovers: If you’re 1 or 2 folks, you’re going to get a number of meals out of this hen and rice.
Balanced Meal: Protein + Veggies + Grain = good balanced meal for any night time.
Kitchen Instruments You Want
you want a Dutch oven for this hen and rice recipe, what else will make your life simpler?
What’s a Dutch oven?
A dutch oven is a big, heavy pot made out of forged iron. It’s nice for cooking one-pot meals as a result of it retains warmth, which helps prepare dinner your meals evenly.
What can you employ instead of a dutch oven?
Don’t have a Dutch oven? No downside! You are able to do a couple of issues:
- Use a deep forged iron pot that’s sufficiently big to carry all the pieces.
- Do the searing in a frying pan after which switch all the pieces right into a casserole baking dish for baking.
- Use a traditional stockpot. It’s possible you’ll must barely enhance the baking time.
That is hands-down our favourite Dutch oven. It’s a 6.75 quart enameled forged iron Dutch oven that’s tremendous high-quality and lovely.
What You Want for Rooster and Rice
- Rooster: this recipe calls for two lbs. bone-in, skin-on thighs, however you’re greater than welcome to make use of boneless skinless. No matter you favor.
- Rice: make certain to make use of long-grain white rice reminiscent of basmati. We did NOT take a look at this recipe with brown rice and/or prompt rice, however the liquid ratio will differ vastly.
- Veggies: greens you want for this hen and rice recipe are carrots, onion, mushrooms, and peas.
- Seasonings: you’ll must whip up a batch of our well-known all-purpose chicken seasoning. Or, you need to use a store-bought form. As well as, you’ll want garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Secret Ingredient: our secret ingredient is Worcestershire sauce! It’s vinegary and savory and such an incredible taste addition. Don’t have Worcestershire? Strive utilizing balsamic or apple cider vinegar as a substitute.
So, what makes this Dutch Oven Rooster and Rice so flavorful?
Oh the burning query of why is that this hen and rice recipe extra flavorful than others? Nicely, let me spell it out for you:
- The chicken seasoning we used for the thighs is on level. Not solely does it taste the hen, but it surely provides to the flavour of the rice and it tastes identical to tremendous flavorful hen and rice camp meals (if ).
- Butter – don’t skimp on the butter. It actually does add wonderful taste.
- Worcestershire – and the key ingredient is, Worcestershire sauce. We love the vinegar and savoriness of this ingredient.
Is Rooster and Rice Wholesome?
Selfmade hen and rice is a wholesome, balanced meal that’s nice for any night time of the week! To make this recipe even more healthy: 1. omit the butter and use olive oil and a couple of. use hen breast as a substitute of thighs.
Rice – this recipe requires basmati white rice, however it should additionally work with jasmine rice. We did NOT take a look at this recipe with brown rice or any type of prompt rice, so keep away from these.
Rooster – whereas we 100% favor hen thighs for hen and rice, you might be greater than welcome to make use of hen breast as a substitute.
How one can Make Rooster and Rice (step-by-step)
So, how do you make hen and rice from scratch? It’s SO simple! Bear in mind, scroll all the way in which all the way down to our recipe card for the total substances + directions.
- Season + Sear Rooster: Generously season hen thighs with an all-purpose hen seasoning. Then warmth olive oil in your Dutch Oven and sear thighs on each side. The objective right here is to offer them some coloration and brightness and to additionally create that incredible crust on the pores and skin,
- Saute Veggies: Add extra butter and olive oil to the pot after which sear garlic, onion, mushroom, and carrots. Don’t prepare dinner them throughout, the aim is to simply begin the cooking course of.
- Add All Elements: Add in white rice, hen broth, frozen peas, Worcestershire sauce, and the remainder of the spices and blend to mix.
- Bake: Cowl the Dutch oven with the lid and bake at 375ºF for about 35 minutes. Take away the lid and use a thermometer to verify the thickest a part of the hen has reached an inner temperature of 165ºF. The rice must be utterly cooked and all liquid must be absorbed. If not, proceed cooking for 5-10 extra minutes.
hen thigh tip
Bear in mind, hen thighs are available in all sizes and styles. We used medium-sized thighs and our prepare dinner time was proper round 35 minutes.
Let hen and rice cool utterly. Then, switch it into a big, glass container. Cowl and refrigerate for as much as 3-5 days in an hermetic container.
Should you’ve bought the house in your fridge, you possibly can merely retailer your hen and rice bake within the Dutch oven. That’ll prevent a couple of dishes!
Are you able to freeze hen and rice?
Should you’re planning to freeze hen and rice, we suggest baking it throughout, first after which freeze it.
Let your hen and rice recipe cool utterly. Then, switch right into a freezer-safe container and take away as a lot air as attainable. Freeze for as much as 3 months.
Alternatively, you possibly can bake your hen and rice in a disposable tin container and freeze in that.
To thaw & reheat: let casserole thaw within the fridge in a single day. Then, bake casserole at 350ºF for 30-45 minutes or till heat within the center.
One Pot Rooster and Rice
A flavorful hen and rice recipe made with juicy hen thighs and probably the most scrumptious rice medley you have ever had! And, sure, it contains tons of veggies!
Cook dinner:35 minutes
- 2 lbs. hen thighs bone-in and skin-on
- 3 tablespoons homemade chicken seasoning
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium white onion minced
- 2 giant cloves garlic minced (or 4 medium)
- 4 oz. white mushrooms diced
- 2 medium carrots minced
- 1 cup white rice we used white basmati
- 2 and 1/4 cups hen broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1.5 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon floor pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- contemporary parsley for topping
First, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Then, prep hen thighs by patting them dry with a bit of paper towel. Generously sprinkle them with hen seasoning and put aside.
Warmth 1.5 tablespoons olive oil in a big Dutch oven over medium/excessive warmth. When olive oil is aromatic. Sear hen thighs on each side for two minutes to get them golden brown. Take away from warmth.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and use a wood utensil to take away the brown bits from the underside. Then, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and a pinch of salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add in white rice, hen broth, frozen peas, Worchestershire sauce, and spices, and blend to mix. Flip the warmth to excessive. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble, instantly take away it from the warmth.
Place the seared hen thighs on high of the rice and place the highest on the Dutch oven.
Bake at 375ºF for 35 minutes. Take away from the oven. At this level, the liquid must be utterly absorbed. If it isn’t, proceed baking for 5-10 minutes till it absorbs. Examine the inner temperature of the hen thighs. It ought to learn at the least 165ºF.
Choice to broil the dish on excessive for round 1-2 minutes to actually get the hen golden brown.
Prime with contemporary parsley after which serve instantly.
Energy: 536kcal Carbohydrates: 34g Protein: 43g Fats: 24g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g
Images: photographs taken on this publish are by Erin from The Wood Skillet.