- £170m Covid Winter Grant Scheme to assist youngsters, households and probably the most susceptible over winter
- Vacation Actions and Meals programme to be expanded, overlaying Easter, Summer season and Christmas in 2021
- Wholesome Begin funds set to rise from £3.10 to £4.25 every week from April 2021
- Suite of measures represents long-term plan to assist sort out poor well being, starvation and schooling.
Constructing on the numerous assist given to probably the most susceptible through the pandemic, a brand new £170m Covid Winter Grant Scheme shall be run by councils in England.
The funding shall be ring-fenced, with not less than 80% earmarked to assist with meals and payments, and can cowl the interval to the top of March 2021. Native Authorities will obtain the funding at the start of December 2020.
It’ll enable councils to straight assist the hardest-hit households and people, in addition to present meals for youngsters who want it over the vacations. Native councils perceive which teams want assist, and are greatest positioned to make sure applicable vacation assist is offered – which is why they may distribute the funds, quite than colleges, who will proceed offering meals for deprived youngsters throughout term-time.
The Vacation Actions and Meals programme, which has offered wholesome meals and enriching actions to deprived youngsters since 2018, can even be expanded throughout England subsequent 12 months.
It’ll cowl Easter, Summer season and Christmas in 2021, and price as much as £220m. Will probably be accessible to youngsters in each native authority in England, constructing on earlier programmes – together with this summers, which supported round 50,000 youngsters throughout 17 native authorities.
Wholesome Begin scheme funds are additionally set to extend from £3.10 to £4.25 every week from subsequent April, 2021.
This scheme helps pregnant girls or these with youngsters below 4 who’ve a low revenue and are in receipt of advantages to purchase contemporary fruit and greens. This can assist folks increase the long-term well being of their youngsters.
The Authorities has additionally pledged further funding of £16m for meals distribution charities, with conversations with FareShare and others ongoing as to how that is allotted.
Work and Pensions Secretary, Thérèse Coffey, mentioned:
We wish to be certain susceptible folks really feel cared for all through this troublesome time and, above all, nobody ought to go hungry or be unable to pay their payments this winter.
We all know this has been a difficult time for a lot of, and we have now constantly supported the lowest-paid households, defending 9 million jobs with furlough and boosting welfare assist by £9.3 billion.
This package deal builds on that assist, and by extending our profitable Vacation Actions and Meals programme, in addition to funding a £170 million Covid Winter Grant Scheme, we’re ensuring households get the assistance they want.
The federal government has acknowledged that college holidays may be troublesome for some households, with youngsters susceptible to lacking out on wholesome meals, actions, and studying alternatives.
For instance, studying loss over summer season accounts for nearly two-thirds of the attainment hole between the richest and the poorest youngsters by age 14.
Because of this, as much as £220m is being invested within the Vacation Actions and Meals programme, with deprived youngsters capable of get wholesome meals and participate in enjoyable enriching actions over summer season, Christmas and Easter in 2021.
Ministers have additionally taken unprecedented measures through the pandemic to guard probably the most susceptible, and put in place a robust package deal of monetary assist to assist households and youngsters.
- Defending tens of millions of jobs and livelihoods by means of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and the Self-Employed Revenue Help Scheme, which have been prolonged till March 2021
- Rising Common Credit score and Tax Credit by as much as £20 every week this 12 months
- £63m for councils to supply emergency help to households, pensioners and probably the most susceptible with meals, necessities and meals
- Extending free faculty meals assist to these eligible when colleges closed throughout lockdown
- Rising Native Housing Allowance charges for Common Credit score and housing profit claimants, so it covers the bottom 30% of native rents – benefiting over 1 million households by on common £600 this 12 months.
Native authorities perceive which teams want assist, and are greatest positioned to make sure applicable vacation assist is offered – which is why the £170m Covid Winter Grant Scheme shall be distributed by them, quite than colleges, who will proceed offering meals deprived youngsters throughout term-time.
- To put the Covid Winter Grant Scheme in context, the price of offering free faculty meals to eligible youngsters for 2 weeks is round £40m primarily based on authorities information.
- The federal government has constantly supported the lowest-paid households, together with by elevating the dwelling wage, ending the profit freeze and placing one other £9.3bn into the welfare system.
- The federal government stays dedicated to creating a meals technique that may assist the event of a meals system that’s sustainable, resilient and inexpensive, that may assist folks to stay wholesome lives, and that may shield animal well being and welfare.
- The £170m is for Native Authorities in England solely. Devolved Administrations have acquired equal funding by means of the upfront funding assure we have now offered, which was just lately elevated to £16bn for the 12 months to assist their Covid-19 response.
Media enquiries for this press launch – 020 3267 5144
Observe DWP on: